Saturday, September 10, 2005

what is religion?

i'm stealing this from Oxygen (one of my healthier addictions):

DIFFERENT RELIGIONS

Jesus Christ said he had never been to a football match. So we took him to one, my friends and I. It was a ferocious battle between the Protestant Punches and the Catholic Crusaders.

The Crusaders scored first. Jesus cheered wildly and threw his hat high up into the air. Then the Punchers scored. And Jesus cheered wildly and again threw his had into the air.

This seemed to puzzle the man behind us. He tapped Jesus on the shoulder and asked, "Which side are you shouting for, my good man?"

"Me?" replied Jesus, by now visibly excited by the game. "Oh! I'm not shouting for eitehr side. I'm just here to enjoy the game."

The questioner turned to his neighbour and sneered. "Hmmm, an atheist."

On the way back we briefed Jesus on the religious situation of the world today. "It's funny about religious people, Lord," we said. "They always seem to think that God is only on their side and against the people on the other."

Jesus agreed. "That is why I don't back religions. I back people," he said. "People are more important than religions. Man is more important than the Sabbath."

"You ought to watch your words," one of us said with concern. "You were crucified once for saying that sort of thing, you know."

"Yes, and by religious people," said Jesus with a wry smile.

- De Mello (1000 Stories You Can Use, Volume One by Frank Mihalic, SVD)

Who do you back?

No comments: